Hope you had a smooth Monday! If you're anything like me, meal planning goes well for the first few days after the grocery trip but then I start to get lost for ideas. I keep some items always stocked in my pantry and fridge so I know I can go back to those recipes if I need to.
Because of that, I love cooking with sausage. I keep packages in my freezer and pull them out when I'm lost for inspiration. They defrost quickly and work well with a variety of different vegetables and starches- making for really quick, simple, easy meals.
You may have seen this recipe using hot Italian sausage, but today's is even less complicated! Perfect.
This meal is awesome for weeknights or busy evenings. It does take a bit of time to cook, but with minimal prep and only one dish, you can easy pop it in the oven and do other things around the house.
With only five ingredients you'll have a complete meal: Sweet Italian sausage, yellow or white onions, potatoes, bell peppers, and olive oil.
After washing all of the veggies, julienne or slice your peppers and onions and place them in a casserole dish.
You can use whichever potatoes you like. I prefer to keep the skins on, so I like to go with red skinned potatoes. Cut them into cubes- the smaller the cubes, the faster they will cook. The potatoes need the longest time in this recipe, so keep that in mind when cutting.
After adding the potatoes, drizzle olive oil onto all vegetables and mix to coat.
Add cut sausage to the tops of the vegetables. I don't suggest leaving the links whole. In theory, you could do that, but I personally like the way they brown as little nuggets and they give the flavor to the vegetables.
Place the whole dish in the oven.
Use tongs or a large spoon to mix. Stir the bottom pieces to the top every twenty minutes to evenly cook and brown the sausage and potatoes.
This meal is done when potatoes are cooked through and have a nice crispy shell.
- 3-4 bell peppers. I used the mini peppers in these photos because that's what I had on hand. You can use the pretty tai-colored yellow, orange, and red or green; or mix them up if you prefer.
- 2 large yellow or white sweet onions
- one package of sweet Italian sausage (approximately 1lb)
- 3 TBS good quality olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Slice or julienne the peppers and onions and place in a casserole dish or similar.
- Cut potatoes into small-medium sized chunks. The larger the chunks the longer you'll need to cook the meal.
- Drizzle tops of vegetables with approximately 3TBS olive oil; this isn't exact, feel free to use more/less depending. Keep in mind, the veggies will give out some water and the meat will leak oil and fat too; so don't over saturate them before baking.
- Add sausage scattered across the top of the dish
- Place in the oven, stirring every 20 minutes or so, until potatoes have cooked through and have a golden edge. 60-90 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
I've made this recipe using infused olive oils as well- garlic or italian herb blends nicely with the flavor of the sausage. I've also tried it with added Italian seasoning but didn't prefer it that way. I've also tried it with hot Italian sausage and did not enjoy it at all.
Let me know if you try it! Enjoy.